Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Imprisoned?


A topic that I have been wanting to post about is Asperger Syndrome. I know a relative who has this syndrome and have been strongly compelled to share what I have learned about it. I love my relative dearly and want to give the rest of the world a glimpse of what life is like for this person. Inability will not be the sole focus of these posts, but also ability. Attitude is another topic I'll discuss. It is a privilage to know someone like my relative. People don't ever seem to know how to react to him and respond either with delight or strong dislike. I want to help educate people on how they can bless and be blessed even more by someone with Aspergers. It is unfortunate that people like my relative are imprisoned by these types of sydromes. Yet here in the midst of human weakness is an amazing opportunity to see the mighty strenghth and tender love of God. I used to say, "I just want him (my relative) to be free!" By this I meant free to share in all the "normal" life experiences that I have had. After looking at my life and then looking at his, I think that he has missed out on so many opportunities. He can't drive, he'll never grow up enough mentally to handle being married, he'll never be a dad, he can't, can't, can't....it is sad. But a dear friend from school recently gave me her perspective on this. She had a brother with far more severe problems that passed away when she was just 15. She told me, "You know, it's not freedom they need, it's joy. They need to be able to find joy in the midst of their circumstances." (I'm paraphrasing.) Unlike her brother, my relative knows he has a problem. His attitude about it varies; one day he admits it, the next he angrily denies it. Still, this is my prayer right now - that he would find joy. My dear Dad in heaven has said in His Bible:


" 4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.10I rejoice greatly in the Lord....11I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philipians 4: 10-13.


No comments: